Is Enom taking your money for gTLD preregistrations when they should not be? What if you had a 0% chance of getting a domain because it’s either been reserved or sold at a premium price already, should any registrar be accepting payment from you because they “will try” to register it when the landrush begins even though there is no hope for success? Is this an attempt to hold onto your money until they will inevitably have to refund it or is this poor technology? I’m not sure, but whichever it is this should have been addressed and fixed by now. I pointed this out to Enom well over a week ago and nothing has happened so take that for what you will.
I’ve been looking at the gTLDs availability like most domainers. I don’t think they will take off, but I think there are going to be some solid names there that could be resold for a nice profit. Let’s take an easy example of what is happening. There is a gTLD .ESTATE. Of course everyone should be able to agree that Real.Estate would be a desirable name and one that will either be reserved or I would imagine someone would spend thousands on to buy it at a premium price. Let’s see what happens when you try to pregister this domain at a few different places (You can click on the pictures to enlarge them):
So the first two will tell you this domain is taken and Enom… well… they are happy to charge your credit card even though you’ll have a 0% chance of getting the domain. Not sure what is going on over there but if GoDaddy and Dynadot can get it right then Enom has no excuse to get it right also, unless they have decided intentionally to have this be their process (in which case they will lose goodwill from at least this one domainer). Wake up Enom!